Komyo-in, one of Tofuku-ji's sub-temples, has a good modern karesansui (dry landscape garden) that was laid out by Shigemori Mirei in 1939. Shigemori designed the garden with three Buddhist triads and many rocks that are placed on lines drawn from the large stone in the middle of the garden. Those lines are likened to rays from the Buddha.
The name of the Zen temple, "Komyo", consists of two kanji (Chinese characters) that are "ko", light of the sun and "myo", light of the moon or stars as Buddhist terms. If combined, these mean the light given off from the body of Buddha, or wisdom / mercy of Buddha.
Kinzan Myosho founded this temple in 1391.
How to get to Komyo-in
Two minutes of walk from Rokuhara-mon (south gate) of Tofuku-ji.
Hours and Admission
November: 300 yen
Other months: a donation would be appreciated.
Click on a photo for full image.