July 18, 2004
Joju-ji was originally founded sometime between 1261 and 1264 as a temple of Risshu
sect of Buddhism. The temple decayed after Onin civil war (1467 - 1477)
until Zen Priest Tetsugyu restored it in 1689. At the same time, the sect
of the temple was changed to Obakushu sect.
(This information is based on the Kyoto city's guide board in front of the temple)
|The gate of Joju-ji.||Hondo, the main hall of Joju-ji.|
|A stone bridge in the garden of Joju-ji.||A monument in the garden of Joju-ji.|