Heian-jingu shrine

Heian-jingu shrine has colorful halls and beautiful gardens. Its main halls represent 5/8 scale replicas of the first Imperial Palace built in Heian-kyo (Kyoto) in 794 and convey the atmosphere of elegance of the Heian period (794-1185).

The shrine is surrounded by beautiful chisen-kaiyu-shiki (pond-stroll) gardens on three sides; Minami Shin-en (the south garden) on the west, Nishi Shin-en (the west garden) on the north-west, Naka Shin-en (the middle garden) on the north-east and Higashi shin-en (the east garden) on the east.

History of Heian-jingu

Heian-jingu was founded in 1895 to commemorate the 1100th anniversary of establishing Kyoto as the capital of Japan. The shinto shrine originally was dedicated to the 50th Emperor Kanmu who founded Kyoto as the capital of Japan in 794 and later the 121st Emperor Komei, the last Emperor in the capital Kyoto, was added for dedication.

How to get to Heian-jingu

20 minutes from Kyoto Station to Kyoto-Kaikan-Bijutsukan-mae bus stop by Kyoto city bus No. 5 or 100 then three minutes on foot.

10 minutes on foot from Higashiyama station of subway Tozai line.

Hours and Admission

Except the gardens:

March 1 - 14 and September 1 - October 31: 6:00 -17:30
March 15 - August 31: 6:00 - 18:00
November 1 - the end of February: 6:00 - 17:00

Admission is free

Gardens:

March 1 - 14 and September 1 - October 31: 8:30 -17:00
March 15 - August 31: 8:30 -17:00
November 1 - the end of February: 8:30 -16:30

Admission:
Adults: 600 yen
Children: 300 yen

Photos

Click on a photo for full image.

The whole view
Daigoku-den in the middle and Byakko-ro (white tiger tower) on the left, Soryu-ro (Blue dragon tower) on the right. The entrance to the gardens is on the far-left corner.
May 1, 2009
Torii gateway Oten-mon gate Soryu-ro
Torii gateway that was built in 1929. The reinforced concrete gateway is 24.2 meters high and 33 meters wide.
May 1, 2009
Oten-mon gate that was built in 1894. The two storied wooden gate is 19.3 meters high.
May 1, 2009
Soryu-ro. This two storied structure was built in 1894.
May 1, 2009
Gaku-den Daigoku-den Temizu sho (east)
Gaku-den that was built in 1940.
May 1, 2009
Daigoku-den, the outer hall of worship. The biggest building of Heian-jingu was built in 1894.
May 1, 2009
Temizu sho, an eastern washbasin that has a sculpture of a dragon.
May 1, 2009
Temizu sho (west) Cherry blossom Nishi (west) Shin-en garden
Temizu-sho, a western washbasin that has a sculpture of a tiger.
May 1, 2009
Green and pink cherry blossoms in Minami (south) Shin-en garden that was laid out in 1981.
April 8, 2001
Nishi (west) Shin-en garden that was laid out by Ogawa Jihei (VII). He started the construction in 1895 and completed in 1913. The pond is called Byakko-ike (white tiger pond).
May 1, 2009
A waterfall in Nishi Shin-en garden Stepping-stones called Garyu-kyo A person walking on Garyu-kyo
A waterfall in Nishi Shin-en garden.
May 1, 2009
Stepping-stones called Garyu-kyo (lying dragon bridge) in Naka Shin-en (the middle garden). Ogawa Jihei (VII) laid out this garden at the same time as Nishi Shin-en.
August 23, 2003
A person walking on Garyu-kyo. The cylindrical stones of Garyu-kyo used to be piers of Sanjo Ohashi and Gojo Ohashi bridges. The pond is called Seiryu-ike (blue dragon pond).
August 23, 2003
Sango-jima island in Soryu-ike A rocky stream Taihei-kaku 1
Sango-jima island in Soryu-ike.
May 1, 2009
A rocky stream between Naka Shin-en and Higashi Shin-en (the east garden).
May 1, 2009
Taihei-kaku, a roofed bridge over Seiho-ike (habitat of the phoenix) pond in Higashi Shin-en. Ogawa Jihei (VII) laid out this garden from 1914 to 1926. One of hills in Higashiyama is used as Shakkei (borrowed scenery).
May 1, 2009
Taihei-kaku 2 A stone bridge and an island in Seiho-ike Shobi-kan, a guest house
Taihei-kaku that was built in 1912 and moved to this place from Kyoto Gosho.
August 23, 2003
A stone bridge and an island in Seiho-ike.
May 1, 2009
Shobi-kan, a guest house, that was built in 1912 and moved to this place from Kyoto Gosho.
April 8, 2001