The stone paved approach through sanmon gate toward hondo (the main hall) of Enko-ji is in the light and like a path in an open space. On the other hand, beyond the small inner gate, it has a quite different atmosphere created by its beautiful garden.
The moss covered garden of this rather obscure temple is called Jugyu-no-niwa (ten bulls garden). Its vivid red leaves in autumn and fresh green leaves in spring make the ikeniwa (pond garden) very attractive.
History of Enko-ji
Tokugawa Ieyasu (1543-1616) founded this temple in 1601 in Fushimi as a school to educate samurai and priests. It was just one year after he won the crucial battle in Sekigahara and came to power. The ninth principal of Ashikaga school, priest San'yo Genkitsu was assigned as the first principal of the new temple.
Tokugawa shogunate moved the temple to the present site in 1667. From Meiji era (1868-1912) until recently the Rinzai sect temple was a nunnery. Now, it is a dojo of Nanzen-ji temple.
How to get to Enko-ji
- 38 minutes from JR Kyoto station to Ichijoji-Sagarimatsu-cho on Kyoto City Bus No. 5, then 10 minutes on foot toward the hill.
Hours and Admission
Closed December 28 to 31.
All except the following: 400 yen,
Junior high school students (7th to 9th graders) and high school students: 300 yen,
Elementary school pupils (1st to 6th graders): 200 yen
Children under school age: free.
Click on a photo for a larger image.