Konpuku-ji is closely related to haikai (haiku) poets (please see the note below). Basho-an, a thatched hut is named after Matsuo Basho (1644-1694), a great haikai poet. There is a grave stone of Yosa-no-Buson (1716-1783), who was also a great haikai poet and painter, together with those of other poets.
NOTE: haikai (haiku) is a seventeen-syllabled poem; as a general rule, a word that express a season must be included.
History of Konpuku-ji
The fourth head priest of Enryaku-ji temple, An'ne founded Konpuku-ji in 864 in conformity with the wishes of his predecessor, Jikaku-daishi En'nin (794-864) as a Tendai-shu sect temple. Years later, the temple fell into ruin. Sometime during Jokyo era (1684-1688), Tesshu, who was the head priest of Enko-ji (Rinzai-shu sect temple), rebuilt Konpuku-ji. Since then this temple has been a subsidiary of Nanzen-ji temple.
Tesshu, a friend of Matsuo Basho, built a thatched hut called Basho-an. Once the hut dilapidated, but an association of haikai poets led by Yosa-no-Buson rebuilt it in 1781.
How to get to Konpuku-ji
- 38 minutes from JR Kyoto station to Ichijoji-Sagarimatsu-cho on Kyoto City Bus No. 5, then 10 minutes on foot toward the hill.
Hours and Admission
Closed January 16 to 31, August 5 to 20, December 30 and 31.
All except the following: 300 yen,
Junior high school students (7th to 9th graders) and high school students: 200 yen,
Elementary school pupils and younger: free.
Click on a photo for a larger image.